[openFATE 310986] Software Search to arrive at most desirable options
Feature changed by: Martin Seidler (pistazienfresser)
Feature #310986, revision 6
Title: Software Search to arrive at most desirable options

openSUSE Infrastructure: Unconfirmed

Info Provider: Carl Fletcher (caf4926)
Requested by: Carl Fletcher (caf4926)

Currently the Software Search and or Webpin results in a plethora of
choices, most of which are less than desirable. Ideally, search results
should First offer the most stable and or suitable packages. For
example. If a user comes along and searches for 'VLC' They are offered
a host of unstable options. Everyone knows that 'VLC' should come from
Packman. If we can't refer directly to Packman, it should be possible
to link to a multi-media giuide.
I'm going to guess this could be difficult. But it must be possible to
flag searches by keywords to redirect to the most likely solution, but
with an option to continue to search anyway.

Test Case:
Open here: http://software.opensuse.org/search and search: vlc

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Avoid new user use of unstable or unsuitable repos.
We should be directing to the most suitable or most likely suitable
solution. At the moment it's very random.

#1: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2010-12-16 09:29:00)
I already thought of adding notifications based on keywords that point
to the right download pages for example packman, nvidia etc.

#2: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2010-12-16 18:19:16)
We added some default notifications now for "nvidia", "broadcom",
"google earth". Which were the most failing searches according to the
logs. Could you provide more helping texts for specific search terms?

#3: Carl Fletcher (caf4926) (2010-12-16 19:23:42)
Thomas. Thanks for the feedback. But before we address this any further.
Please confirm - Which is the preferable search option: 1:
http://software.opensuse.org/search%3Cbr/%3E 2:
http://packages.opensuse-community.org/ For example you mention
'broadcom' But the results in webpin gives a search result But software.
opensuse shows no results - only a rather un-obvious hint to packman at
the top of the page. IMO, that packman link needs flashing lights on
it. A search for 'ffmpeg' in the two search pages offers differing
results. But again I suggest it point to Packman in the first instance.
'mplayer' the same issue
I need not go on. In fact webpin offers the better results in most
cases.

+ #4: Martin Seidler (pistazienfresser) (2011-02-14 17:53:12)
+ And should openSUSE:Tumbleweed not be a separate option? Nowadays I get
+ packages form Tumbleweed if I search on software.opensuse.org after
+ choosing 11.3. Example:
http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=Mozillafirefox&baseproject=openSUSE%
+ 3A11.3&lang=en&exclude_filter=home%3A&exclude_debug=true