[openFATE 306985] Install necessary codecs on the first run/need
Feature changed by: Enea George (premamotion)
Feature #306985, revision 10
Title: Install necessary codecs on the first run/need

openSUSE-11.2: Rejected by Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger)
reject date: 2010-11-15 10:32:01
reject reason: Not done in time for openSUSE 11.2.

openSUSE-11.4: Duplicate of #306917
+ Master status: New

Requested by: Piotrek Juzwiak (benderbendingrodriguez)

I would very much like to see the system propose to install multimedia
codecs. It could be similar to pullin-flash-player or pullin-msfonts.
Not every new user knows that they need to add packman repo so it would
be a great idea to run a script at the start that would ask if that
person needs:
a) to play DVD's
b) to play mp3's
c) to play any other kind of media like Xvid, DivX etc.
The script would then add temporarily vlc repo to download libdvdcss in
case a is ticked and add Packman repo in any other cases.

Relations:
- (feature/duplicate: 306917)

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2009-08-06 14:18:51)
Strange enough that I never had a DVD so far that mplayer would have
needed libdvdcss for (and I am referring to stuff from the video rent
store -- no need to talk 'bout rips). But be free to give me a counter-
example.

#2: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-12-18 17:21:49)
Having read in past Fedora's discomfort with a legal codec solution for
US, I suspect this is more a legal than technical issue, and the reason
why Restricted Media info is not provided on main website.
The pullin packages, are used to legally download items directly from
distributor, rather than require re-distribution rights for proprietary
packages which becomes messy.
Unfortunately where a license is required due to respect of Software
Patent (mp3), no non-commercial download method would be legal, so
there could arise a significant liability.  Therefore whilst agreeing
that something should be done to make it more obvious to end user
(after all the Forums are very upfront about Media Codecs for end
users), I don't think the pullin- model is a good solution.