[openFATE 311047] Remove Windows Local Installer
Feature changed by: John Andrews (swerdna)
Feature #311047, revision 4
Title: Remove Windows Local Installer

Requested by: Carl Fletcher (caf4926)

The local installer which starts up when a windows user loads the
openSUSE DVD, allowing installation to be started from a running
windows OS, IS an absolute disaster. Did I say it was an absolute
disaster? Oh yes, I did say that. Either remove it or include a
unmistakable warning, that using it is likely to lead to disaster and
that installation is best done by booting from the DVD.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Users that run this installer are messing up their system
and the overall result is that it gives them a very bad impression of
openSUSE.

#1: Henk van Velden (hcvv) (2011-01-07 17:14:14)
I support this strongly. openSUSE should never be guilty in spoiling
the current system of a user (even if it is Windows). It will give a
very bad reputation of Linux to people who are on the brink of trying
openSUSE.

#2: Denver D. Robinson (denverd) (2011-01-07 19:21:19)
we should not be in the business of killing individual's MS-Windows
systems....now, hobbling the $courge is not a bad idea, but we won't
get there by alienating individuals by messing up the systems they
depend on...
just remove the auto-run and have the script test to see if the
installer is being run inside of Windows, and if it is, pop up the how
to do it the safer way, rather than a Continue button..

+ #3: John Andrews (swerdna) (2011-01-07 23:27:54)
+ It has this BIG bug that can bork the new user's windows installation.
+ It either needs to be fixed or it needs to be removed. It's a good
+ idea, but like the one in Ubuntu (which also borks windows
+ installations) it's not yet in a state to go into production.
+ Whatever, it defo needs to be not there in openSUSE 11.4.

List Navigation
This Thread