[openFATE 311023] Make GNOME 3 default
Feature changed by: Nelson Marques (ketheriel)
Feature #311023, revision 8
Title: Make GNOME 3 default

Requested by: Christian Jäger (eet)

openSUSE has continuously been outranked since 2009 by 3 GNOME-based
distributions on distrowatch.com. openSUSE has failed to re-capture its
spot as hot contender in 2010 by betting everything on the KDE-4-card.
The only way to re-gain popularity and some of the buzz of those early
years of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop introduction seems to me to
strengthen the visibility of GNOME in openSUSE and preferably be at the
forefront of GNOME 3 adoption; a position that Ubuntu has foolishly
relinquished of its own accord.
The fabulous buildservice should make it quite easy to adopt bleeding-
edge GNOME 3 features quickly while at the same time offering a GNOME 2
interface akin to the still very popular SLED.
KDE 4 should of course continue to be supported...

#1: Jos Poortvliet (jospoortvliet) (2010-12-29 16:04:08)
Too bad GNOME 3.0 won't make it into openSUSE 11.4, which will have
KDE's 4.6 release as biggest user-visible change. For the 11.5/12.0
release we might be able to give this a push, however, to be on the
forefront we're too late by then. That is too bad, I know. But if GNOME
3 proves to be very popular it is worth a shot at that time to give it
more visibility.

#3: Christian Jäger (eet) (2010-12-29 21:23:50) (reply to #1)
Well, yes, this request really is a bit tongue-in-cheek. I think we
must keep a constant gauge on how many openSUSE users actually support
the unilateral KDE-centredness. Because, as a matter of fact, the move
to KDE as default desktop environment has proven spectacularly
unsuccessful in attracting new users and developers, a promise which
was used heavily to sweeten that bitter pill for openSUSE GNOMErs a
year or so back.
So, let us vote constantly in one or the other way on which desktop
environment we should keep up front. And when we finally have enough of
this constant in-fighting, we can hopefully return to the sanity of
olden days, having NO default desktop environment whatsoever, which is
the way it should be...

#2: Ramon Juan Canto Serra (deabru) (2010-12-29 17:09:43)
GNOME is a good desktop, as KDE is.
I think KDE gives us some diferenciation from other distros. And most
openSUSE users prefer it. No reason to change default desktop selection
for me.

#4: Alex Bars (alexdbars) (2010-12-30 01:29:22) (reply to #2)
KDE 4 > KDE 3 > Windows > Gnome 2 > Gnome 3 \0/\0/\0/\0/\0/

+ #5: Nelson Marques (ketheriel) (2011-01-01 15:05:33) (reply to #4)
+ On pluto ?

List Navigation
This Thread