[openFATE 310530] 4 Options for better SUSE install and backup flexibility
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:04:11 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Jeremy Thornton (leebrad)
Feature #310530, revision 3
Title: 4 Options for better SUSE install and backup flexibility

openFATE: Unconfirmed

Package Wishlist: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Jeremy Thornton (leebrad)

I would like to see the same installation flexibility for SUSE as is
- available for Ubuntu.
+ available for Ubuntu and Fedora.
SUSE uses a wonderfully polished installer, however, the following
features are either missing or I am not informed on how to use the
following, which I think would be a great addition to SUSE distro and
suse studio for the average or even small business user.
- 1. Install option as a Windows Application like Ubuntu; and,
- 2. Install easily onto a USB drive using utilities like Ubuntu and
- Fedora provide;
- 3. Create the SUSE Studio to look like the installer so that it easier
- to choose packages as if you were actually installing SUSE and then add
- the additional customizations needed.
+ 1. Install/Remove option as a Windows Application like Ubuntu;
+ 2. Install easily onto a USB drive using GUI utilities like Ubuntu and
+ Fedora provide (dd is an option but more linux minded rather than a
+ branded GUI utility like LiveCD creator by Fedora or Ubuntu)
+ 3. Adjust the SUSE Studio to look like the installer so that it easier
+ to choose packages as if one was actually installing the SUSE distro
+ and then add the additional customizations needed, rather than only a
+ package by package option as is currently offered from my usage with
+ SUSE studio. (Fedora Revisor and Reconstructor for Ubuntu). This would
+ prevent alot of package errors from appearing in production saving both
+ development time and server rebuild resources to fix any errors.
4. Provide a backup utility like remastersys that works on SUSE
providing a rebuild of a live cd for backup or distribution to friends,
family, or colleagues.
I think these 4 implementations would increase the flexibility of SUSE
installations, customization, and distribution.

List Navigation