[openFATE 310327] use systemd session manager instead of SysVinit/upstart
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:41:28 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Denny Beyer (lumnis)
Feature #310327, revision 12
Title: use systemd session manager instead of SysVinit/upstart

Requested by: Vicenç Juan Tomàs Monserrat (vtomasr5)

systemd (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd) is a system
and session manager for Linux, compatible with SysV and LSB init
scripts. systemd provides aggressive parallelization capabilities, uses
socket and D-Bus activation for starting services, offers on-demand
starting of daemons, keeps track of processes using Linux cgroups,
supports snapshotting and restoring of the system state, maintains
mount and automount points and implements an elaborate transactional
dependency-based service control logic. It can work as a drop-in
replacement for sysvinit.
Thanks.

#1: Jon Nelson (jnelson-suse) (2010-08-15 00:05:47)
sysvinit works and it works very well. While some other distros are
going to Upstart, honestly I don't really see any significant advantage
Upstart has over sysvinit, or even the Makefile-based parallel task
startup. However, systemd seems like it actually rethinks the entire
process, and for the better. I would like to see more
supervise/runit/freedt-like functionality in systemd, but if one is to
choose from among sysvinit, upstart, and systemd - it seems that there
is no compelling reason to choose upstart instead of sysvinit (except
for considerably smaller init scripts) but systemd has a far greater
architectural technological advantage.

#2: Jose Ricardo De Leon Solis (derhundchen) (2010-08-15 07:50:39)
I've looked at systemd's git repo and there are already seven releases
tagged in it. Also, Kay Sievers has pushed several suse-specific
patches, so it should work on openSUSE. The only thing we miss is input
on its stability and reliability. If it is, I think it's worth
packaging it and offer it as an option, just like we do it for upstart.
Whether to make it the default or not, I think it's imperative to have
Kay Sievers opinion and ultimately leave the decision to coolo.

#3: Denny Beyer (lumnis) (2010-08-23 21:22:36)
Now, that fedora uses systemd as default system, I hope systemd will
make it as default into openSUSE 11.4. Any objections?

#4: Jose Ricardo De Leon Solis (derhundchen) (2010-09-15 05:58:42)
Apparently systemd won't be the default init system in Fedora 14. There
are sitll concerns about its stability and has been deferred to Fedora
15. I think it would be wise to do the same for openSUSE. Lets make it
the default for the next version.

+ #5: Denny Beyer (lumnis) (2010-09-16 11:41:26) (reply to #4)
+ I have seen those news as well. Maybe good to make it default in the
+ next version, any chance to get it as an option in 11.4 - for people
+ interested?