[openFATE 310149] Optimize power consumption while running on battery
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 00:07:02 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Petri Järvenpää (pj69482)
Feature #310149, revision 4
Title: Optimize power consumption while running on battery

Requested by: Andreas Demmer (ademmer)

Currently, openSUSE 11.3 does not much to preserve my battery while
being unplugged. Intel's powertop came up with many good suggestions
that cut the power consumption on my laptop in half! It would be quite
a good idea to make the powersave profile do a little bit more than
just dim the screen and throttle the CPU. Other suggestions:
* turn bluetooth off, radio is always a battery eater
* reduce USB polling
* enlarge write cache
* ...do other things that reduce wakeups to a minimum

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Mobile usage is more and more a key scenario.

+ #1: Petri Järvenpää (pj69482) (2010-07-19 00:05:31)
+ Could you be more specific what and how you achieved your power
+ consumption improvement?

List Navigation