[New: openFATE 310149] Optimize power consumption while running on battery
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:04:28 +0200 (CEST)
Feature added by: Andreas Demmer (ademmer)

Feature #310149, revision 1
Title: Optimize power consumption while running on battery

Requested by: Andreas Demmer (ademmer)

Currently, openSUSE 11.3 does not much to preserve my battery while being
unplugged. Intel's powertop came up with many good suggestions that cut the
power consumption on my laptop in half! It would be quite a good idea to make
the powersave profile do a little bit more than just dim the screen and
throttle the CPU. Other suggestions:

* turn bluetooth off, radio is always a battery eater
* reduce USB polling
* enlarge write cache
* ...do other things that reduce wakeups to a minimum

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: Mobile usage is more and more a key scenario.

List Navigation