[openFATE 307255] Less scary yast conflict dialogs
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:09:15 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Thiago Sayao (sayao)
Feature #307255, revision 8
Title: Less scary yast conflict dialogs

Requested by: Martin Schlander (cb400f)

The YaST2 sw_single dialog for conflicts, vendor change, architecture
change etc. is very scary for many users.
The dialog asks the user to select one of usually three offered
solutions for each problem without giving much help. This is a cause
for many complaints, and contributes to myths of RPM dependency hell
still existing today.
Zypper on the other hand, does things differently. Zypper will select
an action for the user, then informs the user of the changes that will
be made, and asks a Yes or No question whether the user wishes to
proceed or not.
I suggest to implement behaviour similar to zypper in the YaST dialog.
However, the old functionality of letting the user select a solution
manually for each individual problem should probably be kept, as a
"hidden" expert/advanced option in the dialog.

#1: Stephen Shaw (decriptor) (2009-08-20 18:30:08)
seriously... aside from it being scary its a pain to read through. :)

#2: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-12-01 00:36:25)
It's much easier to bork your system with zypper(8) than with the YaST
dialog, with accidentally destructive mistaken return key presses.
The dialog language is over dramatic, and in general in YaST some
reference to external help via web would be a very useful  start, to
aiding user make better decisions.
Sorting the proposed solutions eg) not install package, delete package,
down & upgrade these packages to these from this repo etc etc by length
might help to.
I think I prefer making an active selection, as most often when such
messages appear, it is because of a mistake, in repo, or by me; which
needs investigatin and sorting out, outside of YaST; my most common
action is thus to Abort the changes, unless I am sure I can simply
delete offending packages.

+ #3: Thiago Sayao (sayao) (2010-06-22 14:09:10)
+ I was also scared. Having to choose a option for each package is not
+ cool. Also, sometimes one chosen option conflicts with another chosen
+ option, so it conflicts again.