[openFATE 309840] Supress verbose messages after Grub
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:01:12 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Anshul Jain (anshuljain)
Feature #309840, revision 6
Title: Supress verbose messages after Grub

Requested by: Anshul Jain (anshuljain)

In the current bootsplash scenario, after we select the kernel version
(or by default starts to boot with the only available kernel), it gives
a brief 3-4 second verbose message on the screen.. something on the
lines of "Uncompressing Kernel...<and the kernel options parameters>".
It then proceeds to the bootsplash screen of openSUSE that we're all
familiar with. This is elegantly supressed under Ubuntu through a patch
called quiet.diff.
I've added this patch to the grub SRPM and successfully built and
installed it on my laptop (its available in my OBS at :-
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/anshuljain/openSUSE_11.2_Update_standard/src/grub-0.97-164.1.src.rpm).
I'd appreciate if the official maintainer of Grub can add this patch so
that the boot can be a lot more elegant than what it is right now.

#1: Jan Engelhardt (jengelh) (2010-06-15 10:45:19)
Ubuntu, eh?

I don't see any Uncompressing message:
http://picpaste.de/nouncompressing.png

If you go by the "elegant" argument, I have to say: activate
bootsplash.

#2: Anshul Jain (anshuljain) (2010-06-15 13:01:31)
Firstly, my apologies...it isn't the "Uncompressing" message but the
first set of messages from the top in your pic (its not available
now...) Secondly, with this patch+bootsplash activated (yes I have
bootsplash activated), there are no verbose messages on the screen.
While this may be trivial to you, it is an annoyance to many...
including myself.
I can see the condescension on this being an Ubuntu patch from your
first statement. Just because it comes from Ubuntu, doesn't mean that
it is needs any scorn. They have some good ideas as well...and there's
no harm in picking the good bits to benefit openSUSE.

#3: Bruno Friedmann (bruno_friedmann) (2010-06-20 09:38:59)
Hi Anshul Jain,
Can you explain if your patch leave us choice ( something important
here ) to have verbose message at boot ?
From what I've seen on the lastest ubuntu, there's no Esc key that
permit to see what's happen during system initialization even if it
start with bootsplash.
I need this choice !

#4: Ivo Anjo (knuckles) (2010-06-20 10:39:01)
I think the possibility to have a silent grub is very important. End
users should not have to see cryptic text unless they want to -- all
debug info (and that *is* debug info) should be hidden by default.
I have a macbook with opensuse and the current boot sequence is not
very pretty because it goes EFI firmware -> black screen (bios
starting) -> grub writes some crap -> bootsplash finally kicks in.
I think this patch suffers from problems pointed out by this post in
the ubuntu forums
http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=742355 that
proposes another, better patch for this.

+ #5: Anshul Jain (anshuljain) (2010-06-20 11:01:05)
+ Bruno,
+ You can still see all of the messages during bootsplash. This patch
+ *does not* touch the bootsplash sequence. It merely touches the Grub.
+ I've tested this on Opensuse and also Mandriva...works like a charm.
+
+ Ivo,
+ From what I see...the patch mentioned in the link you've posted and the
+ one I'm proposing are the same, AFAIK.
+
+

List Navigation
This Thread