[openFATE 308261] Include Bibus, a bibliography tool that interacts with Openoffice via UNO
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:01:42 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Jean-Sébastien Gosselin (JSGosselin)
Feature #308261, revision 6
Title: Include Bibus, a bibliography tool that interacts with
Openoffice via UNO

Package Wishlist: Unconfirmed

Requested by: Sven Burmeister (rabauke)

OpenOffice lacks a decent bibliography support which is mandatory for
scientific writing.
Bibus is a python tool available for all platforms, i.e. Windows users
can use the same tool when switching to Linux.
It can interact with Openoffice via the UNO api, i.e. it does not only
export its data, but inserts it into the OO document.
It can even be used with a central database, i.e. for companies that
want to share their bibliogrphic data.
The project's website is: http://bibus-biblio.sourceforge.net/

#1: Jens Staal (staalmannen) (2009-12-08 10:51:49)
This is a very good tool and I have just recently run into problems
with version 1.5.1 which runs into a segmentation error on my OpenSuse
11.2 64-bit and rollback to the 1.4 version available for 11.0 does not
work due to changes in the database. I am not smart enough to figure
out how to debug it or make a proper bugreport about it.

It is important that separate 32-bit and 64-bit packages are available
since bibus need to point to /usr/lib/ooo3/program and
/usr/lib64/ooo3/program respectively.

Files to edit for respective architecture are:
.../bibus/Setup/bibus.cfg
.../bibus/bibus.cfg

RPMs for other distributions do not work
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=bibus&submit=Search+...&system=&arch=

+ #2: Jean-Sébastien Gosselin (jsgosselin) (2010-04-22 18:01:31)
+ Bibus is a MUST have for me. I've put a lot of work into it. I'm new to
+ openSuse, used to be on Ubuntu. The problem I came accross while trying
+ to intall Bibus nearly discourage me to use openSuse. I managed to
+ install it though and now I'm very happy with it. Here is how I did it
+ on a fresh install of openSUSE (i586):
+ 1)Installed "Make" program with YaST.
+ 2)Installed python-wxGTK with YaST and I accepted all the dependencies.
+ 3)I downloaded "bibus_1.5.1.tar.gz", extracted it and renamed the
+ folder "bibus"
+ 4)In a terminal, from the "bibus" folder path, I ran >sudo make install
+ 5)I edited the /usr/local/share/bibus/bibus.cfg so that the first 4th
+ lines looks like:
+ python = /usr/bin/python oopath = /usr/lib/ooo3/program ooure =
+ /usr/lib/ooo3/basis-link/ure-link/lib oobasis = /usr/lib/ooo3/basis-
+ link/program
+ So far, everything is working fine. Hope it can helps.
+ JS