[openFATE 308936] Install defaults to Allow_Kernel_Updates=NO
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 23:02:15 +0000 (GMT)
Feature changed by: Dean Hilkewich (deanjo13)
Feature #308936, revision 4
Title: Install defaults to Allow_Kernel_Updates=NO

Requested by: Wilson Phillips (wilson_phillips)

Make the install default with kernel updates off.
Create a  config file with a flag that can be turned on or off, that
must be edited. Inside the file could be all the information needed for
a newbie to do his/her own kernel update without hosing thier system.
Instructions, links to forums, links to video card drivers, etc.
Advanced users could easily edit the file and turn on kernel updates
after the install, but new users would not be blind-sided with a kernel
update that leaves them in panic mode staring at the command prompt
login, and wondering why they had a desktop one minute and a reboot
leaves their system broken. If a new user needs a kernel update, they
can do a little research and find how to edit the file, by the time
they do it, they should have all the information they need to make an
informed decision and be prepared with the tools they need to bring
their system back online properly.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: We have lost too many new openSUSE users over the years
because they did their updates and did not know that a kernel update
would break their modules. Nothing causes more panic for a newbie than
a reboot that leaves them stuck at the command line interface and
wondering why their system is broken. Too many just do a format and
reinstall of Windows and the last we hear of them is when they post on
the forums that SUSE sucks. For us old techs, this is a small problem
and we know how to fix it, but for the newbie, this is a deal breaker.
We must change our way of looking at these small problems and how they
affect the new inexperienced users. We can not overlook these issues.
We have to make them a priority. How many new users could we keep, if
they never had this problem? Food for thought.

#1: Ricardo Gabriel Berlasso (rgbsuse) (2010-02-03 14:23:53)
Considering that openSUSE kernel updates are only for security patches,
I think this is a bad idea. A proper solution to the real problem
exposed here must come from other sites: the "fall-back driver" idea
expressed on #308935 (308935) is one possibility, but getting the open
source drivers on good shape is even better: most users do not need the
full power of nvidia or ATI proprietary drivers, so making noveau and
co. drivers ready will be the right solution for most, if not all,
problems generated after kernel updates.

#2: Michal Marek (michal-m) (2010-02-03 14:45:46)
Drivers for nvidia and ati cards are provided as zypp repositories with
KMPs (e.g. for 11.2: ftp://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.2/ and
http://www2.ati.com/suse/11.2). This means that should there be an
incompatible kernel update, users will be warned beforehand. Compatible
updates will just reuse the module. So what group of users is this
feature targeting?

+ #3: Dean Hilkewich (deanjo13) (2010-02-04 00:05:01)
+ Horrible idea, updates are done for security purposes for a reason.  If
+ your looking for a solution to modules breaking on a kernel update then
+ suggest that opensuse starts using dkms.
+ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Kernel_Module_Support
+

List Navigation