[openFATE 308520] Change bootloader to lilo - it just works.
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 00:34:04 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Carlos Robinson (robin_listas)
Feature #308520, revision 3
Title: Change bootloader to lilo - it just works.

Requested by: Per Jessen (pjessen)

In light of recent discussion wrt bootloader, in particular GRUB and
GRUB2, I would like to suggest an alternative: that we revert to lilo
as the default and supported boot-loader.
As at least two people have said, lilo just works. It is a tried and
tested, file-system independent and mature boot-loader. Lilo is boring
- just what we need for a stable distribution.
Let me take care of the counter-arguments right away:
* lilo doesn't support reiserfs' tail option. (requires that the /boot
file-system is mounted with –notail).
Not really much of a drawback, IMHO. Reiserfs has been slowly losing
popularity, and with this tail option being a reiserfs-only feature,
this is a corner case barely worth considering.
* lilo is poor wrt recovery and diagnostics.
Granted, it probably is. For a system to be played and experimented
with, lilo might not be optimal. For a stable production system,
whether a server, an office desktop or a home system, lilo does a very
good job.

#1: Jeff Mahoney (jeff_mahoney) (2009-12-11 16:48:28)
reiserfs is losing popularity, but we expect btrfs to gain popularlity.
It has a similar design compared to reiserfs and supports tail packing.

Additionally, with online defragmentation supported added to both ext4
and btrfs, the static maps that lilo manages will become invalid at
random times. Having a defrag tool update the boot loader is just
stupid.

+ #2: Carlos Robinson (robin_listas) (2009-12-12 00:33:23)
+ I do not vote for lilo as default bootloader, I prefer grub.
+ I vote for havivng lilo as another, alternative, bootloader.

List Navigation