[openFATE 306028] A log structured filesystem like nilfs as root file-system for SSD based devices
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:20:38 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Robert Davies (robopensuse)
Feature #306028, revision 13
Title: A log structured filesystem like nilfs as root file-system for
SSD based devices

openSUSE-11.2: Rejected by Stephan Kulow (coolo)
reject date: 2009-06-24 12:31:45
reject reason: Out of scope for 11.2

Requested by: Nikanth K (nikanth)

A log structured file-system like nilfs as root file-system to use on
SSDs. Currently GRUB does not have support for those file-systems. So
may be an option to have LILO for those configurations or add support
for those in GRUB.

Relations:
- feature/duplicate: 306585

#4: Nikanth K (nikanth) (2009-05-07 14:36:45)
Another option would be to have a /boot partition(or disk) and allow
the root partition(or disk) as nilfs(or btrfs). I guess this should
require only YaST changes. No LILO support required.

+ #6: Robert Davies (robopensuse) (2009-11-30 20:19:17) (reply to #4)
+ No changes needed to YaST, I do the small (ext2 with 4k blocks & few
+ inodes) via Custom Paritioning and then copy files to a "shared" /boot
+ partition after an install.
+ lilo(8) is indeed not required.  So all this needs is support of nilfs
+ in the kernel, expert partitioner and a nilfs-tools package analagous
+ to reiserfs(8) (would have mentioned btrfs or ext4 but they seem to
+ have funked the man pages).