[openFATE 306439] Include Eucalyptus in 11.2
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:17:09 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Michael Löffler (michl19)
Feature #306439, revision 6
Title: Include Eucalyptus in 11.2

openSUSE-11.2: Candidate
Projectmanager: Important

+ Info Provider: Stephen Shaw (decriptor)
Requested by: Andrew Wafaa (funkypenguin)
Developer: Stephen Shaw (decriptor)

Please could we include Eucalyptus in the next release?  For thos
unaware of Eucalyptus please see their homepage
(http://www.eucalyptus.com/) , and for those that are too lazy to do
that - Eucalyptus is an Open Source alternative to Amazon's EC2 Cloud
computing offering.
This is the very product that Ubuntu are using for their " Ubuntu
Enterprise Cloud
(http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/cloud/UEC) ".  I
am not advocating a "jump on the bandwagon" or "keeping up with the
jones'" attitude.  I am however advocating empowering our distribution
and community with the necessary tools to stay ahead of the pack.
I can also see several instances where the openSUSE project could
potentially benifit from implementing our own cloud - it's no secret
that there are some infrastructure constraints, and going down the
Utility/Grid/Cloud/$Current_Buzz_Word computing may help things.
For those that question whether there is a demand for it, I will admit
there may not be a huge demand at the moment.  The key thing is if we
can market it right (in co-operation with Eucalyptus) we can get a much
bigger uptake on both products - even our darling SLE cousin can join
in the fun ;-)

#1: Stephen Shaw (decriptor) (2009-05-15 18:37:18)
I second this.  I had actually already started packaging this a couple
months back in OBS.  I didn't get really far as I got distracted, but
I'm planning on finishing it.
home:decriptor:eucalyptus

#2: Stephan Kulow (coolo) (2009-06-09 11:37:31) (reply to #1)
great. I don't see us doing a big fuzz around it, but having the pieces
together sounds like a neat goal - especially if we already have
someone at it.

+ #3: Michael Löffler (michl19) (2009-07-28 11:15:50) (reply to #1)
+ Stephen, any progress on your side?