[openFATE 306615] My openSUSE - Community Infrastructure for openSUSE
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 18:29:35 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm)
Feature #306615, revision 16
Title: My openSUSE - Community Infrastructure for openSUSE

Hackweek IV: Evaluation

Requested by: Cornelius Schumacher (cschum)

Write a portal which integrates all the different openSUSE services and
shows a personal view on what's going on in openSUSE. Services to
integrate could be the Build Service, openFATE, Bugzilla, openSUSE
News, Planet openSUSE, SUSE Studio, Wikis, the software portal, forums,
mailing lists, upstream development sites, etc.
http://en.opensuse.org/Community_Infrastructure

#1: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak) (2009-07-21 18:49:26)
This should be carefully and thoroughfully evaluated and cannot be done
in one week. I'm investigating Launchpad and Fedora Community
alternatives as both are open-source:
https://features.opensuse.org/306926

#2: Cornelius Schumacher (cschum) (2009-07-21 19:05:37) (reply to #1)
You will be surprised. Tom is working on it. A lot can be done in a
week. This is about putting existing pieces together not about doing
something completely different.
Launchpad is a different beast. That certainly needs some more
thoughts.

#3: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2009-07-22 12:38:43)
I started working on it, but my goal is to create a page that can
collect data from all opensuse resources. With backends for bugzilla,
buildservice, studio... the user can configure his own set of widgets
on the page to see the data he is interested in.
This is a bit like Fedora Community but better ;-) I think using
launchpad would replace a large part of the opensuse infrastructure
whereas I try to create a site the unites all personally important
information that is available by different APIs.

#4: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak) (2009-07-22 12:47:44) (reply to #3)
I agree with Launchpad point. It is a 200MB+ beast and it is too much
tied to .DEB architecture. What I'm doing right now is importing
missing python modules to TurboGears2+Moksha stack so I can build
FedoraCommunity in our BuildService. I think we can learn a lot from
their efforts. Thomas: do you have any code repository for your
project? We should try to involve the community from the beginning.

#5: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2009-07-22 12:54:49) (reply to #4)
Atm it's a local git repo. I will try to write a blog today or
tommorrow and push the sources to a playground directory or similar in
the opensuse svn.

#6: Pavol Rusnak (prusnak) (2009-07-22 13:15:16) (reply to #5)
You could push to gitorious.org repo like Duncan suggested. I think it
is a much better idea than to stick to SVN (and you started to use git
anyway...)

+ #7: Thomas Schmidt (digitaltomm) (2009-07-22 18:28:19)
+ Ok, we have a git repo now here: git://gitorious.
+ org/opensuse/myopensuse.git
+ What we did so far is a plugin architecture for the different widgets,
+ caching, moving around the widgets, widgets for RSS and Bugzilla.
+ I will continue on making it completely configureable for each user,
+ and add some more specialized widgets.
+ Screenshot: http://img43.yfrog.com/img43/4179/partnerfate1.png

List Navigation