[openFATE 306412] Easy and unified way to enable/disable optional/experimental features
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 15:30:14 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Michael Löffler (michl19)
Feature #306412, revision 3
Title: Easy and unified way to enable/disable optional/experimental
features

openSUSE-11.2: Evaluation

Requested by: Tejun Heo (teheo)

When new things are introduced, it always generates certain amount of
controversy. It's sometimes due to the quality of the initial
implementation; other times, the feature itself isn't appealing to
large subset of the userbase. Examples of this type of features include
compiz, beagle and pulseaudio.
Given that features which generate a lot of controversies are desktop
related as they are the most visible and that as a distro openSUSE
wants to ship and experiment with new features, having an easy and
unified way to opt in and out of controversial features would resolve a
lot of griefs without harming test coverage too much.
I suggest installing new features by default and ask whether the user
wants to opt in and out of those features from ggreeter. It wouldn't
add another step while still providing choices upfront. Also, the same
selection should be available through control pannel.
This feature would be superset of fate#305296.

+ #1: Michael Löffler (michl19) (2009-06-02 15:30:26)
+ I'm kind of split here. On the one hand side an additional opt-in, opt-
+ out possibility looks useful. On the other hand it adds another step
+ and most challenging I see the question for what features should get
+ such a opt-in, opt-out possibility. Fot me it looks more like an over
+ head.