[openFATE 306192] Make BuildService accessible for anonymous users
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 12:21:26 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Michael Löffler (michl19)
Feature #306192, revision 12
Title: Make BuildService accessible for anonymous users

- Buildservice: Unconfirmed
+ Buildservice: Evaluation

Requested by: Michal Vyskocil (mvyskocil)

We hides many useful information about our distribution behind a Novell
login, which makes a participation harder. Other distributions are much
more opened even for anonymous users, so you can browse source codes,
patches, changelogs, build logs, ... even if you are an anonymous
users. We should be opened as much as possible if we want to be a
community based distribution.
Some examples:
* Fedora CVS (http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc//) expose all Fedora
packages with full history and for anonymous users
* kojibuild info
(http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=81815) - you have
a full access to building informations from koji system and some of
them are not available for OBS users at all.
* Debian changelog browsing
(http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/c/cdbs/cdbs_0.4.52/changelog)
Debian offers a changelog browsing (they don't use a centralized VCS)
without registration.
* lintian reports
(http://lintian.debian.org/maintainer/build-common-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx#cdbs)
you can see a lintian issues for every package.
* Debian build log
(http://buildd.debian.org/pkg.cgi?pkg=libmatthew-java) Debian also
offers an access to a build log of package.
* Gentoo package information
(http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-office/nostaples?ts=2009-03-11T05:57:00Z)
Gentoo offers many information about package
Those examples are only for illustrate of other approaches. I don't try
to tell we must implement CVS because Fedora has it. And some issues
like an alternative of Gentoo package view should be implemented in
upcoming Software Portal.
We should publish (at least for openSUSE:* projects) sources of
packages and a build logs.

Use Case:
With no login for read access we lower the hurdle for interested
people, we enable external linking to "my" project and the OBS is
visible for search engines.

#1: Andreas Jaeger (a_jaeger) (2009-03-18 15:12:14)
I would mark this as mandatory moving forward.

#2: Stephan Kleine (bitshuffler) (2009-03-24 19:05:51)
The only objection I have is that the email addresses shouldn't be
shown to random unidentified users because I already get enough spam.
Besides that it would be a nice addition.