[openFATE 305598] Improve access to non-preinstalled apps
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 16:18:10 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Richard Doll (richard_doll)
Feature #305598, revision 8
Title: Improve access to non-preinstalled apps

openSUSE-11.2: Evaluation

Requested by: Richard Doll (richard_doll)

Currently, we include many apps in the distribution which are by
default not installed although accessible for installation via Yast
(eg. VPN) Users should have an easy way to find out which apps are
available on the system and simply need to be installed.
This could be an extension to the application browser (eg. "Search
catalog for non-installed applications") or other means to make users
aware.

Business case (Partner benefit):
openSUSE.org: We include numerous "un-advertized" applications in the
distribution - it seems self-evident that we should make users aware of
what is available to them.

#1: Gerald Pfeifer (geraldpfeifer) (2009-01-02 12:20:33)
This is a bit similar to the issue with YaST, where we made the
decision to always install all modules to provide the overview of our
capabilities. I am obviously not suggesting this route here, but some
of the alternative solutions to the YaST issue may be applicable here.

#2: Gerald Pfeifer (geraldpfeifer) (2009-01-02 12:21:26)
Guy, Michl, something for our desktop / UI teams to look into?

#3: Michael Loeffler (sprudel24) (2009-01-09 18:34:08)
Hmm, doesn't the Software Management module in YaST provide exactly
this?

#4: Richard Doll (richard_doll) (2009-02-17 10:29:18) (reply to #3)
I don't think so. You have to go actively into Yast and search there.
My request is to bring this closer to the user - possibly a simple
search bar in the application browser.
So...a simple example might be (based on recent real user experience):
- User needs a VPN app - User goes into Application Browser, types in
VPN in the Filter - No VPN tool is available, no suggestions or next
steps are offered. - User abandons search and concludes there is no VPN
app installed on the system
An ambitious - and more Linux savy - user might start searching
elsewhere or try command line (or open Yast).
The scenario I recommend is: - User types in "VPN" in the application
browser filter - System returns an answer: "You don't currently have a
VPN client linked to the application browser, but there is a VPN client
on your system. Click here - BUTTON - to add a shortcut for this
application in your application browser. - User accepts and from now on
has the - already available - VPN client at his/her fingertips.
There might be something in openSUSE - I only use SLED - that could
address this

#5: Martin Schmidkunz (mschmidkunz) (2009-02-19 16:04:13)
What about using (and therefore promoting :-)) the one-click-
installation-icon used by software installation via openSUSE.org? I
played a little bit around with that idea:
http://en.opensuse.org/Image:Application_browser_1click.png Of course
we should check the readability of this idea :-)

+ #6: Richard Doll (richard_doll) (2009-02-19 10:17:39) (reply to #5)
+ This looks very good to me. It took me while to notice the wrench on
+ the screenshot, but once I saw it it made absolute sense.
+ Nice thing is we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel and it would make
+ search even more powerful.
+ Only addition I would make is may be a color code or something that
+ makes it even more obvious what is installed and what is "installable"
+ - otherwise excellent.