[openFate 305715] Package event framework
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:15:42 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: Federico Lucifredi (flucifredi)
Feature #305715, revision 6
Title: Package event framework

openSUSE-11.2: New

Requested by: Andreas Gruenbacher (agruen)

The installation, upgrade, or removal of several packages triggers
actions such as running ldconfig, rebuilding the initrd, or similar.
Those actions are not specific to the package at hand, but either
global with a system-wide effect (such as running ldconfig), or they
affect a group of packages (such as all kernel (sub-)packages of a
specific version, including all KMPs affectiong it). Those actions need
to be run eventually (with order restrictions relative to other package
installs, upgrades, or removals), but running them again and again for
each package is wasteful.
In former days, SuSEconfig was used for some of those tasks, but it
turned into a major nightmare (perhaps due to its design).
It would be nice if we could come up with a framework in which packages
can trigger events and define which actions they need to be run, and
rpm will then perform those actions in an appropriate order, avoiding
repeating the same action unnecessarily. (The dependencies between
actions and package installs/upgrades/removals are somewhat complex,
but I think they are manageable.)

+ #1: Federico Lucifredi (flucifredi) (2009-01-23 18:09:34)
+ This is desirable only as it happens within RPM's framework (or if the
+ additions are "candy" that does not affect the actual result). This
+ includes upstreaming.
+ I do not want to comment besides the RPM requirement until Engineering
+ determines how (and if) to proceed. There are too many factors
+ involved.
+ Stano, Needinfo me back when you guys have a settled position or decide
+ to postpone this one given the other priorities.

https://features.opensuse.org/?rm=feature_show&id=305715