[openFate 305131] connecting an unpartitioned disk should bring up a partitioner
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:28:50 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Christian Zoz <zoz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Feature #305131, revision 6
Title: connecting an unpartitioned disk should bring up a partitioner

- openSUSE-11.1: Evaluation
+ openSUSE-11.1: Rejected by Christian Zoz <zoz@xxxxxxxxxx>
+ reject date: 2008-09-26 13:28:38
+ reject reason: No easy solution and to late now.
Projectmanager: Desirable

Requested by: Juergen Weigert <jw@xxxxxxxxxx>

USB or Firewire disks can be easily connected at runtime. For a newly
bought disk, nothing happens, when it is connected for the first time.
Unlike e.g. a USB-Memory-stick, which immediatly opens a filebrowser,
when first connected.
The technical difference is, disks come unformatted, USB-sticks come
formatted.
We should recognize this difference and pop up an easy to use
partitioner.

#1: Stefan Behlert <behlert@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-08-18 12:52:42)
Christian, would it be possible to use HAL or something like that to
pop-up the Yast-partitioner? I don't think we will get a stripped down
partitioner at the moment for 11.1.

#2: Danny Kukawka <dkukawka@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-09-25 18:48:47) (reply to
#1)
No, HAL can't and shouldn't popup anything. It's up to the desktop (e.g.
suse-plugger) to check the HAL events if a device get added to the
machine and react on this.

+ #3: Christian Zoz <zoz@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-09-26 13:28:09)
+ This must be done by the desktop. But it's to late now.

https://features.opensuse.org/?rm=feature_show&id=305131

< Previous Next >
List Navigation