[openFate 305131] connecting an unpartitioned disk should bring up a partitioner
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:48:54 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Danny Kukawka <dkukawka@xxxxxxxxxx>
Feature #305131, revision 5
Title: connecting an unpartitioned disk should bring up a partitioner

openSUSE-11.1: Evaluation
Projectmanager: Desirable

Requested by: Juergen Weigert <jw@xxxxxxxxxx>

USB or Firewire disks can be easily connected at runtime. For a newly
bought disk, nothing happens, when it is connected for the first time.
Unlike e.g. a USB-Memory-stick, which immediatly opens a filebrowser,
when first connected.
The technical difference is, disks come unformatted, USB-sticks come
formatted.
We should recognize this difference and pop up an easy to use
partitioner.

#1: Stefan Behlert <behlert@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-08-18 12:52:42)
Christian, would it be possible to use HAL or something like that to
pop-up the Yast-partitioner? I don't think we will get a stripped down
partitioner at the moment for 11.1.

+ #2: Danny Kukawka <dkukawka@xxxxxxxxxx> (2008-09-25 18:48:47) (reply to
+ #1)
+ No, HAL can't and shouldn't popup anything. It's up to the desktop (e.g.
+ suse-plugger) to check the HAL events if a device get added to the
+ machine and react on this.

https://features.opensuse.org/?rm=feature_show&id=305131

< Previous Next >
List Navigation