[openFate 304928] LSB build target
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 21:31:14 +0200 (CEST)
Feature changed by: Adrian Schröter (adrian@xxxxxxxxxx)
Feature #304928, revision 11
Title: LSB build target

Buildservice: Evaluation

Requested by: Adrian Schröter (adrian@xxxxxxxxxx)
Requested by: Michael Loeffler (michl@xxxxxxxxxx)
+ Partner organization: openSUSE.org

A LSB build target is requested from PM. This does mean we need
* A usable base distribution, which avoids to generate binaries with
non-LSB requirements.
* Additional LSB validation checks packaged. We could integrate these
as rpmlint checks for example.
Jiri, how can we setup such a distribution, using selected packages
from a SUSE distro plus lsb-build-cc as compiler ?
Jiri, can you package the lsb validation checks as rpmlint packages or
shall we run them in a different way ?

#1: Jiri Dluhos(jdluhos@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-06-18 13:55:50)
The task has two sides:
Checking binaries for LSB compliance is relatively easy; I will
investigate how the checks could be incorporated into rpmlint.
Building in LSB-pure environment is a conceptually different, and
significantly more complex task. We have already tried to implement a
pure LSB build target for buildservice, but the straightforward
strategy failed because LSB-pure environment is too restricted to build
essential system binaries (like mount). The Linux Foundation uses a
specially crafted host distro for their builds, which is not LSB
compliant per se, and then do an additional round of checks and
purifications on the built binaries. We can mimic this process.

#2: Jiri Dluhos(jdluhos@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-06-18 14:23:32)
What we will need is probably the lsbappchk tool from the LSB
Application Testkit (downloadable at
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Download
(http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Download)
). I will look at the sources to see if we can easily build it on-
site.

#3: Jiri Dluhos(jdluhos@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-06-18 15:51:49)
For the record (and for the curious :-) ), the database of LSB-
compliant interfaces is here:
http://bzr.freestandards.org/lsb/devel/specdb
(http://bzr.freestandards.org/lsb/devel/specdb)

#4: Darren Davis(ddavis@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-06-30 07:55:35)
I would also be nice if after they build their LSB Compliant
Application in the Build Service, that they could also do the part of
submitting the results for the LSB Navigator that the ATK provides.
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/dbadmin/commons/welcome.php

#5: Gerald Pfeifer(gp@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-06-30 22:53:24)
Michl is out right now, so let me play Michl on TV. Important for PM,
and on to Adrian. ;-)

#6: Martin Mrazik(mmrazik@xxxxxxxxxx) (2008-07-01 06:08:50) (reply to
#5)
Maybe before evaluating this it would be better to split this fate entry into
two:
* Create a LSB build target
* Package ATK and integrate with rpmlint

https://features.opensuse.org/?rm=feature_show&id=304928