[Fate 302955] Split translations out of installation system
  • From: fate_noreply@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:54:16 +0100 (CET)
Feature changed by: locilka
Feature #302955, revision 10
Title: Split translations out of installation system

openSUSE-11.0: Evaluation
Projectmanager: Mandatory

Requested by: coolo@xxxxxxxxxx

The translations of yast are the biggest part of the installation
image.
These should not be part of the image, but should be pulled in from the
product media as the user selects them.

#1: jsrain@xxxxxxxxxx (2007-11-09 13:18:17)
Duncan, we will need a Linuxrc support for this. Can Steffen look into
this feature? What comes to my mind is:
Linuxrc needs to download and mount the language image for the language
which user selected in bootloader menu (or English as fallback)
Linuxrc needs to provide a support (eg. a script) which YaST can call
when Language changes and downloads and "mounts" the new translation
image
It is questionable whether it should be YaST or Linuxrc who makes
checks if the asked image is already downloaded, IMO it should be
Linurc...

#2: snwint@xxxxxxxxxx (2007-11-09 14:08:01) (reply to #1)
I don't see linuxrc involved at all. YaST can just donwload he required
files. Doesn't look that tricky to me.

#3: jsuchome@xxxxxxxxxx (2007-11-09 14:29:36) (reply to #2)
Maybe, but I do not know how. Lukas, don't we have some API in yast2-
installation for that (copying target package from media to inst-sys,
if I understand it correctly)?

#4: snwint@xxxxxxxxxx (2007-11-09 14:32:40) (reply to #3)
We've had exactly that discussion when we talked about loading the
licenses. I think now is a good time to fix yast. I really don't see
why other programs have to download various files for yast when yast
could as well do it itself. And when this means doing the repo init
earlier, then, well, do it earlier.

#5: jsrain@xxxxxxxxxx (2007-11-09 15:02:22) (reply to #4)
YaST can only fetch data from instlalation sources. Inst-sys can come
from completly different location than installation sources do. YaST
has no information where to get these images from. YaST would have to
reimplement getting data from all kind of locations on its own (it
cannot use libzypp, since at the location, there needn't be any valid
source.
That's why I'd like to reuse functionality which Linuxrc already has.

+ #6: locilka@xxxxxxxxxx (2007-11-09 16:54:01) (reply to #3)
+ As already written by snwint, there is no way how to download anything
+ from sources before they are initialized. So: no, there is no
+ Installation API for that.
+ As there can be an installation-(zypp)-source and a different inst-sys,
+ Installation could either initialize the source as soon as possible but
+ it still wouldn't know where to download inst-sys extensions. On the
+ other hand, Linuxrc doesn't know which translations will be needed. So
+ maybe inst-sys could provide some functionality (API) for downloading
+ these extensions and merging them (downloaddir + adddir), YaST could
+ then use that API. Just an idea...

--
SUSE Feature Tool:
http://partnerfate.suse.de/?rm=feature_show&id=302955