Re: [opensuse-factory] Bad Windows 10 performance on Qemu 4.0
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/cblpup/a_little_info_for_people_using_q35_and_vfio/
Most likely this is th OPs problem if qemu does not have a patch included yet.

As far as I understand the bug only applies if the Qemu machine type is
set to Q35. The machine type of my Windows 10 VM is pc-1.2:

  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-1.2'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
    <bootmenu enable='yes'/>
  </os>

When I switch to Q35

  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-4.0'>hvm</type>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
    <bootmenu enable='yes'/>
  </os>

my Windows 10 VM losses its activation. So I can not switch to the
currently buggy Q35 machine type.

Maybe there is another root cause on my Windows 10 Qemu problems.
According to my latest tests, the VM runs Okay if some memory hungry
desktop programs like Firefox and Netbeans are closed. I thought that 16
GB RAM is enough for one 4 GB VM and some desktop programs.

So I probably have to analyze possible memory problems. Unfortunately
the output of tools like "top" and "ksysguard" is not very helpful.
Firefox shows 993 MB physical memory, but 4.330 GB virtual memory.
Chrome shows 66 MB physical memory, but 12,098 GB (!!) virtual memory.
The Ksysguard tooltip says, that virtual memory is nearly useless.

Greetings,
Björn