Re: Re: [opensuse-factory] Many problems since about Kernel 5.1.x on Tumbleweed Client - KDE isn't useable anymore
On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:03 AM <ub22@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Roger,

Gesendet: Montag, 15. Juli 2019 um 10:10 Uhr; Von: "Roger O."

I have a strange thing in KDE with CIFS as a client. If a share is not
unmounted, but the server shuts down, large parts of KDE hang for a
long time (e.g., the status bar at the bottom). I think it is trying
to monitor the directories that are mounted. And when the server goes
away, the monitoring hangs. Could your KDE issues be because the NFS
server is not reachable? Or at least access to the share hangs,
causing parts of KDE to hang as well? If is hanging because of an
error on the server or client is a different matter. But it could
explain the KDE part of your problem.

You can expect, I checked a lot (about 100h poor working time).
Yes in the past, the server was also an issue, but this was fixed
since about 2 month. Afterwords it works mainly, but still some
crazy issues. But since about update to 5.1 on Server and Clients
either the booting hangs on a crashed "akonadictl" or they boots
slowly. Since the last update the duration was dramatically
increased (since update to new KDE/Plasma 5.16?!) like described
below. For me it looks like an issue from update of some configs.
Especially akonadi have issues since about 5 Years, to migrate
my 20 years old kmail folders.

To evaluate, the server issue, I started the user on the server,
but the issue seams to be similar.

We also have the KDE issue on boot. Our CIFS shares are mounted via
autofs as defined in /etc/fstab. For example:

noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=60,nofail,_netdev

The interesting thing is that the mounts never go away when not used.
I think this is because KDE is checking them. Even when they are not
the current directory in any KDE component (that we can locate).

When you log in again, KDE remembers the previous directory layout and
tries to access the directories. This will hang until the server
boots, or some KDE timeout is reached (we think). All of which makes
the autofs a bit useless. Ok, the system does not hang waiting. But
since KDE does, the system could just as well hang anyway...

--
Roger Oberholtzer