[opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse] how do I disable snapper?
  • From: Hans-Peter Jansen <hpj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 19:14:49 +0200
[Sorry for cross post, but I think, this discussion belongs to factory]

Am Freitag, 12. Juli 2019, 13:13:58 CEST schrieb Mathias Homann:
Am Freitag, 12. Juli 2019, 11:24:59 CEST schrieb Carlos E. R.:
You simply need a much bigger root partition. 100 gigs at least.

please read this out loud, slowly, and let it sink in.

And anyone who still believes in btrfs: do the same, twice.

What I find ridiculous is, that it's the installation default. Of course, none
of the about 100 openSUSE installations, that I care about (and did the
installation), have btrfs roots. I use xfs¹.

The only systems, that cross my site and use btrfs roots were installed by
others, *less* informed users. What's interesting here: those, who are
typically not capable of dealing with related issues use it, because they
accepted the defaults. In that way, openSUSE becomes a (failed) technology
presentation for them, before they go somewhere else.

What does openSUSE want to prove with this policy? "We (about to) master a
technology, that most probably *will* fall on your feet, or at least provide
regular work at moments, where you can afford it fewest at all?

Puzzled,
Pete

¹) with 2 calculated deficits only: it cannot be shrunken, and dropbox will
fail on it (for silly reasons, they insist running on ext4 file
systems only. Obviously, they still have too many Linux customers..).