Re: [opensuse-factory] Accepting requests by non-maintainers
  • From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 00:25:46 +0200
Op donderdag 11 juli 2019 21:40:19 CEST schreef Michal Kubecek:
On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 08:22:45PM +0200, Arjen de Korte wrote:
Citeren Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>:
On Thu, Jul 11, 2019 at 07:47:57PM +0200, Stasiek Michalski wrote:
Hi,

On czw, 11 lip, 2019 at 7:45 PM, Arjen de Korte
<suse+factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

wrote:
I just found out that a package I maintain (php-cs-fixer) got a
request,
which was accepted within three hours (and not by me). Why?
Shouldn't
maintainers be allowed a few days before someone stepping in?

I'm f*cking pissed that someone just accepted this change without
having
a clue of what he is doing. Note: the 'new' version was released on
the
same date as the previous one and I deliberately choose not to use
that
one.

There are 13 maintainers of the package (see:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/users/server:php:applications/php-c
s-fixer), and it was accepted by one of them.

Not really. If you look carefully, you'll notice that none of those 13
people has a check in the "Maintainer" column (or bugowner, FWIW). All
of them are _project_ maintainers. The package actually does not have
any maintainer.

Michal Kubecek

It *had* a maintainer until about an hour ago. Said maintainer removed
himself at that time.

Ah, I see.

What's the point of maintaining a package if you're given less than three
hours to accept/reject a request before someone else butts in?

Preaching to the choir... The same problem (project maintainer accepting
a submit request within hours, before package maintainer had a chance to
react) happened to me few times already and I was also very angry - and
even tried to complain about it (with little success). What I can say
that it doesn't happen as often recently; or at least not to me, it
probably depends on the project (or rather the project maintainers).

There is a trick if you want to make bypassing the maintainer harder:
add also the "reviewer" role to yourself in the package. There will be
probably still a way to accept such request without your consent if
there is a need but it shouldn't be possible in the annoying "ha, there
is a submit request, submit requests are good, mkay, let's accept it
ASAP" way.

Michal Kubecek
Arjen, dat zou moeten helpen ..... ;>D

--