Re: [opensuse-factory] New package 'opensuse-welcome' to Factory
Hi,

Greetings.

openSUSE Welcome is a utility that as its name implies, welcomes
people to openSUSE. There's not really much more to it, but here's a
rundown of everything it offers.

- Welcome Screen - Welcomes people with fancy graphics, links to
information, and a news blurb. You can disable it on startup here.
- Desktop Environment Help/Information Button - If openSUSE Welcome
can detect your desktop environment, it'll offer a button to launch
its help utility or open its wiki.
- Show on Next Startup - Because you don't want to be welcomed for the
fourteenth time this day.

Package ->
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/X11:Utilities/opensuse-welcome

Github -> https://github.com/openSUSE/openSUSE-welcome

Screenshot -> https://images2.imgbox.com/f2/1d/dSJpFZsa_o.png

Looks awesome!

If any DE maintainers want to test it on their DEs, that would be
appreciated. Currently, I've tested it on the following:

Just tried it in a Plasma Wayland session, the desktop icon is missing.
This is because the desktop file's name does not match what the application
says it is, it needs to be called org.opensuse.opensuse-welcome.desktop.

A minor issue I found is that installation into /usr/local produces a broken
.desktop file, the Exec= entry still refers to /usr/bin.

I had quick look at the code and notices that it makes use of HTML and friends.
It seems to load RSS data over HTTP (no TLS) and shows the latest entry in the
page. If there's some vulnerability found in the RSS entry display, arbitrary
code can be executed using launcher.launch("foo").

I'd open an issue on GitHub about each of these, but it seems like issues are
disabled.

Cheers,
Fabian

- Plasma [XOrg]