Re: [opensuse-factory] Reclaiming /srv and some other servery type of stuff
Hi,

Am 07.07.19 um 10:07 schrieb Simon Lees:

I think your missing the point of Leap, Leap is meant to be stable and
boring, its meant to keep the same or a very similar base system for
most of its lifecycle, it intentionally doesn't get the newest
everything stuff is only upgraded if there is a really good reason, this
is what some openSUSE users want. For people who want the latest stuff
tumbleweed is a far better option.

not sure if this is the correct thread and location (actually I think
it's not) but this is actually an interesting topic.
Specifically since 15.1 I had the feeling that SUSE "dictates" a bit too
much what gets into Leap and what is not.
There are examples where updates were dismissed because SLE 15SP1 has a
certain package and didn't want to upgrade or packages which are taken
over by SLE15 variants which were a fork before.
I am not sure if all those decisions have been completely agreed
inbetween the openSUSE community packager and SUSE.

At the same time I'm all in for compatibility between Leap and SLE and
also to make maintenance easier for the community if something is
maintained by SUSE but all that is very fine line in my opinion and I
have the light feeling that it tends to get stretched a bit far into the
SLE direction. This is probably just my perspective for the stuff I'm
somehow involved in.

Wolfgang