Re: [opensuse-factory] Reclaiming /srv and some other servery type of stuff
  • From: Andreas Mahel <andreas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 17:53:20 +0200
Am Samstag, 6. Juli 2019, 13:49:28 CEST schrieb Carlos E. R.:
I understand that software is not installed on /srv, but files that can
be served by the package, or the directory structure. That is so with
apache, which installs /srv/www. Maybe you mean cgi-bin?

I suppose things get a little more tricky when we come to packages of web
applications like nextcloud. Since they are web applications, the main part
(if not all) of the package usually goes to a directory within the web
server's document root. And here it starts to get difficult if we were to
provide a setup that works for more than one target web server.

One could argue that the package could be restructured to install the on-
changing parts somewhere below /usr, keeping in /srv only the files/
directories which will be used by the web app to create files, including
provisioning of an adjusted web server config to allow such a setup.
This would make it easier to support more than one web server, but requires
more engineering to make it work, as it moves away from the supported default
setup of the web app.

I would see the bigger benefit in terms of time spent in creating a package
which "only" provides configuration for the additional web server (in this
case nginx) which configures the server to serve the app from where it is
installed (like from /srv/www/htodcs/nextcloud).

Just my thoughts
/Andreas

--
Time flies like an arrow.