Re: [opensuse-factory] Reclaiming /srv and some other servery type of stuff
On 06/07/2019 02.27, Stasiek Michalski wrote:
Hi,

I was playing around with my server today, having some fun with setting
up some services on it, and I noticed that nextcloud requires apache2
for no particular reason. So I went to mess with some specs. For quite
some time I wanted to switch packaging around, as /srv should stay
reserved for user needs and not packaging.

It's easy to set up random sub pages and stuff manually with default
apache/nginx configs when /srv is empty, however when it is also used
for packaging, it makes unnecessary amount of mess in there, when
default configuration could be solved with apache/nginx configs shipped
with packages themselves. Don't get me wrong, I like when I install
software and it instantly works, but this doesn't really require server
software to be installed in /srv, it could work as well in /usr
directories.

I understand that software is not installed on /srv, but files that can
be served by the package, or the directory structure. That is so with
apache, which installs /srv/www. Maybe you mean cgi-bin?

This is the list of src packages that install to /srv (gathered using
dnf, because zypper can't get remote file list *grumble grumble*):
adminer
apache2

dnsmasq

cer@Telcontar:~> rpm -ql dnsmasq | grep srv
/srv/tftpboot
cer@Telcontar:~>

But it is only that directory which will store files the admin puts
there to be served. Software is not installed on /srv. It is data.

From my user perspective, this is good.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.