Re: [opensuse-factory] Reclaiming /srv and some other servery type of stuff
  • From: Eric Schirra <ecsos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2019 10:59:05 +0200
Am Samstag, 6. Juli 2019, 02:27:02 CEST schrieb Stasiek Michalski:
Hi,

I was playing around with my server today, having some fun with setting
up some services on it, and I noticed that nextcloud requires apache2
for no particular reason. So I went to mess with some specs. For quite
some time I wanted to switch packaging around, as /srv should stay
reserved for user needs and not packaging.
If I understand you correctly, you want software no longer on / srv, but under
/usr.
I do not like this idea at all.
I would like to continue to see server software under /srv.
Among other things, because it is clearer and I do not want to search under
/usr hundreds of directories for the appropriate software. Or do you always
know exactly what software is? In addition, I always work with console on
console. So I have no desire to work with cd and so on.
Furthermore, I find it extremely annoying when I install a software as a pact
and then does not run at all and I have to read the installation instructions
of the developers. Then I do not need a package. That's the problem I keep
coming up with, which is why I build my packages so that the software works
and you just have to customize the things that a packer can not know. And for
that, I usually create a README.SUSE.
I can agree with that on one point. Namely why only apache is specified. But
first this is the most common web server and secondly you would have to know
both web servers equally well.
Secondly, it would then have to be in e.g. nextcloud.spec give a requires OR
and thus to a kind of subpackage. Maybe there is that too?
In any case, this would have to be clearly defined, documented, transferable
and comprehensible and also apply to other web servers. Because there is more
than Apache and nginx.

PS: Even if that does not belong in this thread. I think there are more
important things / problem to solve in openSUSE. For example, Ancient packages
and libraries, just because they are in SLE. :-(

Regards
Eric