[opensuse-factory] Reclaiming /srv and some other servery type of stuff
Hi,

I was playing around with my server today, having some fun with setting
up some services on it, and I noticed that nextcloud requires apache2
for no particular reason. So I went to mess with some specs. For quite
some time I wanted to switch packaging around, as /srv should stay
reserved for user needs and not packaging.

It's easy to set up random sub pages and stuff manually with default
apache/nginx configs when /srv is empty, however when it is also used
for packaging, it makes unnecessary amount of mess in there, when
default configuration could be solved with apache/nginx configs shipped
with packages themselves. Don't get me wrong, I like when I install
software and it instantly works, but this doesn't really require server
software to be installed in /srv, it could work as well in /usr
directories.

I really don't like defaults to be forced upon me, I like when there are
sub packages for different options I can use with certain software.
Requiring apache2 with any server software is a crime if nothing else.
I understand that with databases, certain stuff will plain not work when
you switch mysql for pgsql, I accept that as a sad fact of reality, but
there is (almost) no reason why any server software wouldn't work with
nginx when apache is recommended. Even if I have to write the configs
myself *and then push them upstream for anybody to use*. There are a few
examples of software that requires requires apache, but it's rare.

Taking nextcloud as an example, it recommends sqlite installation and
requires mysql, when both can work independently with nextcloud (I
believe it also kinda supports pgsql, but don't quote me on that). This
could easily be split into 3 packages, with the same provides, similar
supplements and a requirement in the main package to install one of
three sub packages for the database based on the provides set up earlier.
In similar fashion, that could be done with web server.

This is not really a rant, I'm ready to do the work on all of this, but
a heads up, I really want to do this now. If anybody is willing to join
in on the fun of getting 60 packages sorted, come and join me.

This is the list of src packages that install to /srv (gathered using
dnf, because zypper can't get remote file list *grumble grumble*):
adminer
apache2
apache2-mod_perl
apcupsd
atftp
bugzilla
cacti
cgit
cobbler
collectd
dnsmasq
exim
firebird
froxlor
ganglia-web
git
gitolite
gnump3d
hiawatha
htdig
info2html
kohana2
libinfinity
mailgraph
mathgl
matomo
moinmoin-wiki
munin
ndpmon
nextcloud
nginx
nut
otrs
pagure
php7
phpMyAdmin
phpPgAdmin
python-kiwi
roundcubemail
salt
salt-shaptools
sarg
sca-appliance-broker
sca-appliance-common
sca-appliance-patdev
sleuth
source-highlight
squidGuard
subversion
system-users
tftp
thttpd
tomcat
velum
viewvc
vnstat
w3c-markup-validator
webalizer
webdot
wt
xsp

If that goes through, and every package stops using /srv, I expect that
the rpmlint checks will advise against using the directory for packaging
in the future, just so I don't need to complain again ;)

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world