Re: [opensuse-factory] Creating better user focused change info for Tumbleweed was please someone help with SR#711379

On 01/07/2019 22:16, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 8:43 AM Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday 2019-07-01 14:16, Neal Gompa wrote:

Perhaps it'd be better if we could untangle the information that the
changelog provides and split out the user-facing parts into the
updateinfo, because that's the stuff people can _see_ from the tools
(dnf updateinfo, zypper patch, YaST, Spacewalk/Uyuni, Foreman, etc.).
It's much easier to access and act on, as well.

Hm. It is quite the reverse for me:
* zypper dup/up
* let it install
* if something broke, check `rpm -q --changelog xyz` for a mention

I am not sure `zypper patch` is still "useful" after the update has already
been applied; let alone that it is not implemented for Tumbleweed where updates
don't come as OBS maintenance_updates, but as regular new files-on-a-mirror.

updateinfo != maintenance updates model. Nothing in particular about
updateinfo requires that model. Admittedly, I'm not sure if OBS forces
that model for generating updateinfo, but I was hoping not...

As for zypper patch, I would imagine there's a way to list applied
patches like there is for listing applied advisories in DNF.

I'm not sure if it lists patches by patch name, but they contain meta data to easily list bug and CVE numbers + titles. Which unlike patch names should make sense to developers.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30