Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: please someone help with SR#711379
On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 8:35 AM Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday 2019-07-01 10:06, Bernhard M. Wiedemann wrote:

On 01/07/2019 07.31, Simon Lees wrote:

If you have examples of "bureaucracy" that you think could be reduced or
removed this list is the place to discuss them, although this thread was
about a bot blocking a certain style rather then causing someone
significantly more effort.

I remember some years ago kkaempf told the story how he packaged
something to build for both Fedora and openSUSE. Fedora accepted the
package, openSUSE didnt - because there were some (possibly
openSUSE-only) macros that "could have been used".

Sounds a bit vague, but oh well.

If you still write `make install DESTDIR=..` in 2019, of course you will
be pointed to %make_install. Or to a spec formatter, whichever comes
first.

Bad example, %make_install is a standard rpm macro and has been for many years.

An example is the difference between using %systemd_post and
%service_add_post. The former is the cross-distro one implemented in
systemd upstream[1]. The latter is the openSUSE specific variant[2]. I
use the former, and some people use the latter. In openSUSE, the
systemd macros are adjusted to account for openSUSE weirdness as
needed.

From my point of view, there's virtually no reason for me to use the
SUSE-only macro. In fact, I would go so far as to say we should
disallow it unless you're packaging sysvinit scripts (which you
shouldn't be doing anyway!).

[1]: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/blob/master/src/core/macros.systemd.in
[2]:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/Base:System/systemd-rpm-macros/macros.systemd?expand=1

openSUSE has a large(?) German involvement, and, stereotypically, we
like everything so neat and tidy that it appears bureaucratic to others.
But it _is_ tidy, and we are held to such standards if and when they
matter (mostly when U+1F4A9 hits a rotating metal blade device ;-).

I dunno, there are plenty of lazy Germans too. ;)

So by striving to have uniform, easy-to-maintain packages we get less
packages. And less packagers, too.

And yet, openSUSE is among the distros with the highest package counts
(whether that is good or bad, I'll put aside), so the situation is not
too bad.

It has the lowest number of source packages among the major RPM-based
Linux distributions. Binary package numbers mean absolutely nothing,
since everyone does package splits differently, and even openSUSE is
inconsistent on how it does package splits for various reasons.

* Fedora: 22,003 (current rawhide)
* Mageia: 14,672 (core only)
* openSUSE: 12,135 (openSUSE:Factory)