Re: [opensuse-factory] Creating better user focused change info for Tumbleweed was please someone help with SR#711379
  • From: Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 08:46:24 -0400
On Mon, Jul 1, 2019 at 8:43 AM Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Monday 2019-07-01 14:16, Neal Gompa wrote:

Perhaps it'd be better if we could untangle the information that the
changelog provides and split out the user-facing parts into the
updateinfo, because that's the stuff people can _see_ from the tools
(dnf updateinfo, zypper patch, YaST, Spacewalk/Uyuni, Foreman, etc.).
It's much easier to access and act on, as well.

Hm. It is quite the reverse for me:
* zypper dup/up
* let it install
* if something broke, check `rpm -q --changelog xyz` for a mention

I am not sure `zypper patch` is still "useful" after the update has already
been applied; let alone that it is not implemented for Tumbleweed where
updates
don't come as OBS maintenance_updates, but as regular new files-on-a-mirror.

updateinfo != maintenance updates model. Nothing in particular about
updateinfo requires that model. Admittedly, I'm not sure if OBS forces
that model for generating updateinfo, but I was hoping not...

As for zypper patch, I would imagine there's a way to list applied
patches like there is for listing applied advisories in DNF.