Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: please someone help with SR#711379
  • From: Michal Suchánek <msuchanek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 12:28:17 +0200
On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 11:05:20 +0200
Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 at 10:41, Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx> wrote:

So by striving to have uniform, easy-to-maintain packages
we get less packages. And less packagers, too.

In general uniformity does not make life easier for free
openSUSE contributors but perhaps uniformity is mainly
useful for some special SUSE maintenance people?

The current processes are open to anyone, and the standards have been
established through regular iterations by the the diverse openSUSE
community, who are also responsible for their implementation.
openSUSE's level of engineering excellence is repeatedly cited as a
reason many of our users are drawn to our offerings. We should never
put that at risk.

I notice many of the complainants against the status quo in this
thread are SUSE employees who are either expressing opinions or
relaying the opinions of others that do not comply with SUSE's Open
Source Policy.

https://opensource.suse.com/suse-open-source-policy

I would recommend that those employees contact their management to
discuss their inability to comply or disinterest in following company
policy.
The benefit or lack thereof a publicly announced company policy is
best not discussed on any mailing-list.

I would also point out that if the openSUSE community reduced its
level of quality and uniformity in the codebase, there is a
significant chance that openSUSE's usefulness to SUSE would be
directly impacted.

I think there is a misrepresentation of SUSE company policy here.
Contributions to openSUSE might be desirable but I see no policy that
would require that opensource tools used internally by employees should
be submitted to openSUSE.

What I see here expressed is that some of these tools that are
maintained in OBS for ease of deployment could be included in opneSUSE
if the barrier for contribution was lower.

We as SUSE employees are not going away when openSUSE makes it harder
to submit packages like the average Joe Contributor. We are just going
to contribute less to openSUSE. When it is more practical (ie overall
less work to do for all systems relevant to you) to add another
repository than to submit the package into the official release
repository (to be available without additional setup) you will choose
the former rather than the latter. For some tools it does not even make
sense to include them in openSUSE at all no matter the ease of
contribution. They are just not going to be useful for anyone outside
SUSE.

Thanks

Michal