Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: please someone help with SR#711379

On 01/07/2019 02:45, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 04:55:03PM +0930, Simon Lees wrote:

On 28/06/2019 19:21, Michal Kubecek wrote:
I have to fully support what Hans-Peter wrote: this mindless bot driven
management drives maintainers and potential maintainers away from the
distribution. It's not only Stefan, I know other people, including SUSE
employees who tell me "I'm perfectly happy maintaining the package in my
home project but I don't have time and patience for the bureaucracy and
constant pestering I would face if I submitted it to Factory. I would
love to tell them things are not that bad - but unfortunately I can't.

Maybe there is a few people in SUSE that feel this way, and do this with
there personal projects in there spare time, but everything that SUSE
employees do on SUSE's time should be making its way into factory as per
SUSE's open source policy.

Well, I wasn't talking about some people's interpretation of certain
vaguely formulated policies, I was talking about what things are like in
real life. And I tried to tell you what is the real life fallout of some
of the policies you advocate for so strongly. It's good to see that you
understand there is a problem; but what makes me sad is that you took it
from the wrong end again. Rather that thinking about what Factory
maintainers could change so that they would not drive potential (and
real) packagers away from Factory, your first thought is "Hey, they
should not do that on company time!" Disappointing...

Well that's not what I was trying to do I was more trying to point out that while what you describe might happen in parts of SUSE its not what SUSE is doing in most places and what SUSE as a company is encouraging its employees to do.

So if I package, say, Google's packetdrill for openSUSE and SLE so that
I and other people can use it for our work but do not feel like going
through the ordeal of getting it to Factory and keeping it there, I'm
the bad guy. If I didn't do anything, everything would be much better.
Is that really what you wanted to say?

I will disagree that it is an ordeal into getting something into factory, other then the wait on legal reviews I don't tend to have issues at most fixing stuff to be correct generally takes me 5 minutes, maybe that's just because I do it so often that I naturally write packages that comply with our rules, or maybe the kinds of packages I write are different and therefore don't have the same issues.

If you have examples of "bureaucracy" that you think could be reduced or removed this list is the place to discuss them, although this thread was about a bot blocking a certain style rather then causing someone significantly more effort.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30