Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed/X in VirtualBox
On 02/03/2017 05:36 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Wolfgang Bauer <wbauer@xxxxxx> wrote:
Also, what version of VirtualBox are you using?

The host is rather old... It is running VirtualBox 4.3.20. I can say
that openSUSE 42.2 is working. It is the most recent openSUSE I am
running here.

Updating this system is on my ToDo list.

What is the OS and version on that host? You should be able to get a newer version of VirtualBox from Oracle.

The KMS support got introduced in 5.0.17.
If you want to boot Tumbleweed on an older version, you need to apply the
iomem=relaxed "workaround". (uninstalling the vboxvideo Xorg driver or
changing the xorg.conf to use fbdev/vesa instead should work too)

This would be in the client kernel command line, I guess. As I
mentioned, I don't seem to be able to edit it when booting. I would
like to do that first to see that it does something.

I am glad you figured out how to edit the kernel command line "on the fly". To make those permanent, use Yast -> System -> Boot Loader and choose the "Kernal Parameters" tab.

Larry

--
If I was stranded on an island and the only way to get off
the island was to make a pretty UI, I’d die there.

Linus Torvalds