[opensuse-factory] Re: How to reindex akonadi database without having to reconfigure?
  • From: ianseeks <bingmybong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 22:13:29 +0000
On Thursday, 2 February 2017 09:45:59 GMT Martin Steigerwald wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 2. Februar 2017, 07:56:16 CET schrieb ianseeks:
Hi

I'm having the "Retrieving folder..." error message on every folder that
contains an unread item. Akonadi fsck/vacuum/top/start no longer fixes the
problem.
I have in the past followed the how to fix akonadi when there was a failed
migration and that did all the work but it seemed like a hammer to crack a
nut as you have to reconfigure kmail etc.

Is there a way to just delete the data and any related indexes to force a
reindexing process?

I'm running out of ideas hence i hope this idea may help

Did you try "Clear Akonadi Cache" on one of the folders in question in
Akonadiconsole. As far as I understand this is a partial clearing of the
cache which forces Akonadi to redo the cache for the particular folder.

I bet I´d do it in the following order:

1) make sure you have backup
2) stop Kmail
3) stop Akonadi
4) make sure database process is gone
5) start Akonadiconsole
6) clear cache of one folder
7) start kmail and test result

That made no difference

As far as I understand you maybe could loose data with doing that, just as
you can loose data with removing the complete database, cause while Akonadi
is mostly a cache, there can be circumstances where it contains more than
only cached items, i.e. when an IMAP server is not reachable to add a newly
written mail into the sent folder… (but on that I also found that the sent
mail was stored into the local sent mail folder instead).

I do not know exactly whether the data loss risk is only when you wipe the
whole database, or also when you clear only the cache of one folder, but I
warned you :)

Also I believe there was a recent bug which caused Retrieving folder
contents displayed forever… you could research that. I am still using
KDEPIM 16.04 as Debian has nothing newer packaged due to challenges and
difficulties packaging Qt Webengine with Debian quality standards.
I've been suffereing that for quite a while and it got to the point where
every folder i opened gave me that message, its taken about 12 hours for
trying things to be able to reply to your email
Also what I believed helped timeouts a lot is raising InnoDB buffer pool
size *a lot*. I raised it to 1 GiB. Mysqltuner.pl recommended even more.
But keep the amount of free memory on your system in mind. Whether that
helps you or not mostly depends on whether Akonadi is waiting on mysqld to
complete the queries it floods it with.
That might help, i'll try that. I've deleted a lot of emails prior to 2016 and
that seems to have made it possible for me to do some work again.
Thanks,

Thanks for the reply
--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20170131