Re: [opensuse-factory] Next snapshot with updated systemd and plymouth
Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Wednesday 2017-02-01 10:36, Johannes Meixner wrote:

I like continuously reported info messages[...] As long as such
messages are continuously reported it is obvious "that thingy is
still doing something". When it fails one can directly see its last
messages regardless whether or not one understands the meaning.
[...] I do not necessarily mean a full screen of such messages.
Only one or a few status message lines (at the bottom) are
perfectly sufficient as user information.

That sounds just exactly like what plymouth is doing. The progress
bar is the message. It meets the criteria of "not occupying the
entire screen". It meets the criteria that while "that thingy is
still doing something", it will update. And when it fails or does
nothing (hello overly long systemd timeouts), one can see its last
(textual) message with ESC, whether one understands the meaning of
the text or not.

If the system hangs during boot and does not react to ESC key anymore the last
message on
a text mode screen could be useful. Not always but sometimes.

Ciao, Michael.

< Previous Next >