Re: [opensuse-factory] Next snapshot with updated systemd and plymouth
On 01.02.2017 14:03, Frederic Crozat wrote:
Unfortunately, even with recent hardware and SSD, this gap is still
there and visible.

I have alternative facts here.

Booting without plymouth is faster (initrd, which is loaded by slow legacy BIOS
code is much smaller).
Once kernel has booted a small amount of time is saved additionally by not
needing to display fancy graphics.

» For a desktop system, reverting to text mode is
definitively a regression.

susi:~ # systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2.614s (kernel) + 858ms (initrd) + 13.088s (userspace) =
16.562s

This is with cryptohome, entering the passphrase take some time:
susi:~ # systemd-analyze blame|head -1
5.400s systemd-cryptsetup@cr_sda7.service

So it's really less than 10 seconds from Kernel startup (which does not show
splash anyway) to Desktop. On ancient, slow
(for nowadays standards) hardware.

Oh, and I run tor, autofs, postfix and ntpd, without those I could shave
another 5 seconds off the boot time.
--
Stefan Seyfried