Re: [opensuse-factory] boost update and the great -devel split
On 02/01/2017 04:25 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
I only wish upstream would be more diligent, because even if we the
buildroots now get slimmer, boost-headers-devel is still a class-1 behemoth:
05/21:42 < uva> 110M /usr/include/boost; are they reading mail or what

I am pretty sure the /usr/include/boost/{fusion,phoenix} thing seems equally
niche like boost-mpi.

That is true, there is still a quite a lot of headers. Unfortunately it
is not possible to split up headers that belong to the compiled boost
bits into -devel subpackages. Very often these interdepend without
requiring compiled symbols. As best as I can recall (because I tried
it!), Boost:Asio, which is header-only, still pulled in header files
from Boost::Serialization (and others) but did not require the compiled
serialization library.

So, still giant header blob that keeps expanding as new libraries are
added, but at least build requirements tree got flattened.

- Adam