Re: [opensuse-factory] Next snapshot with updated systemd and plymouth
On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 02:03:38PM +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
Le mercredi 01 février 2017 à 11:19 +0100, Oliver Neukum a écrit :
Am Mittwoch, den 01.02.2017, 10:18 +0100 schrieb Frederic Crozat:

Le mercredi 01 février 2017 à 09:51 +0100, Oliver Neukum a écrit :

Am Dienstag, den 31.01.2017, 16:06 +0100 schrieb Robby Engelmann:

Ohh, there are more than that one. I remember, that I also
commented
on one of
these: no graphical input, instead textmode input is shown.
The question is, whether these are indeed related...
This time, no imput is shown at all (here in approx. 20% of the
reboots).

Hi,

given the endless number of bugs we see with plymouth
I think we should just drop it.

How about trying to work with upstream on fixing the issues ?

That would be inefficient. The basic interfaces for the console
were not designed for more than one owner of the console actually
doing graphics.
Thus we'd work hard on making more beautiful a gap we are working to
eliminate.

Unfortunately, even with recent hardware and SSD, this gap is still
there and visible. For a desktop system, reverting to text mode is
definitively a regression.

The main problem is that plymouthd starts on vt1 and switch over
to vt7 and at stop of plymouthd the vt1 is reached again. Then with
start of X then we will switch back to vt7. Hence this large gap

IMHO plymouthd should start on vt7 ... that is a small line

ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/chvt 7

together with the option

--tty=/dev/tty7

on the comamnd line of /usr/sbin/plymouthd in
/usr/lib/systemd/system/plymouth-start.service
might help here. Maybe the line

TTYPath=/dev/tty7

could be an further option in /usr/lib/systemd/system/plymouth-start.service

At least plymouthd may not access vt7 at the same time a X does.

Werner