Re: [opensuse-factory] Next snapshot with updated systemd and plymouth
On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 10:18 +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
Le mercredi 01 février 2017 à 09:51 +0100, Oliver Neukum a écrit :
Am Dienstag, den 31.01.2017, 16:06 +0100 schrieb Robby Engelmann:

Ohh, there are more than that one. I remember, that I also
commented
on one of
these: no graphical input, instead textmode input is shown.
The question is, whether these are indeed related...
This time, no imput is shown at all (here in approx. 20% of the
reboots).

Hi,

given the endless number of bugs we see with plymouth
I think we should just drop it.

How about trying to work with upstream on fixing the issues ?

Fabian has been very active in the last couple days to sort out some
things in our plymouth package - to the biggest surprise, almost all
hist fixes were 'drop an openSUSE patch here and there'. Seems quite
some patches are just not up-do the task there.

From hearing around, it seems Fedora is not struggling that much with
plymouth - so either their usecases are just less critical than ours or
some of our 'bugs' are not considered there . In any case, I'd say it
shows once again: downstream patches are evil! Work with upstream to
get our ideas merged there. Let's not develop the same applications in
silos but SHARE the work.

So, from my side: a total +1 to work with upstream on fixing the
issues.

and as for text mode (Sorry Frederic, it's out of context in this
reply...): the ones that want it CAN have it - you are free to disable
plymouth on your machine! But I honestly do not think that a screen
full of text is very appealing to Joe Average. openSUSE has the 'name'
of being a polished distro - from boot to desktop: let's keep it that
way and IMPROVE on that fact, not revert to the stone ages.

Cheers,
Dominique
< Previous Next >