Re: [opensuse-factory] Next snapshot with updated systemd and plymouth

Hello,

SCNR:

On Feb 1 09:57 Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote (excerpt):
On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 09:51 +0100, Oliver Neukum wrote:

given the endless number of bugs we see with plymouth
I think we should just drop it.

What alternative are you proposing? Just reverting
to 'old school' text mode during boot up?

For me: Yes please!

Probably a bit off-topic but seriously:

Personally I prefer to see "what a thingy is doing"
when something is working in the background for
a noticeable amount of time.

I.e. I like continuously reported info messages while
something is working in the background for some time
regardless whether or not I understand the messages.

As long as such messages are continuously reported
it is obvious "that thingy is still doing something".

When it fails one can directly see its last messages
regardless whether or not one understands the meaning.
But with the last messages one can at least try to find
someone who understands what goes on.

I do not necessarily mean a full screen of such messages.
Only one or a few status message lines (at the bottom)
are perfectly sufficient as user information.

Unfortunately it seems usually it is considered to be better
to not tell the user anything about what goes on behind
when something is working in the background for some time
cf. "no news is good news".

Accordingly SUSE and Fedora and Ubuntu show basically
empty screens - sometimes even with some meaningless
animated graphical stuff that tells exactly nothing
where the user is forced to do dull waiting until that
nonsense (I mean it literally: "without sense") is gone.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)