Re: [opensuse-factory] Suggestions for openSUSE team regarding factory stability and TW as rolling distro
  • From: Baron Kelvin <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 21:45:36 +0800
On 2/8/14, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 07.02.2014 18:41, schrieb Baron Kelvin:

Have a frozen-factory where the packages wouldn't be updated for a
month to allow bugfixing
for the next month when the new refresh would be done.
That is where TW would come in. Have a rolling distro that _is_
frozen-factory and is used by users and developers _and_ has the
stability potential.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your input. But we already do monthly freezes to release
milestones. The problem we have is that while we freeze to get
a milestone out, we have plenty of updates piling up. Those will
make the next month a huge challenge and make factory unusable
in between milestones. So I don't see how what you suggest would
change anything for anyone.

Greetings, Stpehan

Hi Mr Stephan,

Thank you for your quick reply! While your answer reads quite
definitive, I hope you don't mind allowing me to flex and exercise
this 'idea' further.

I went to Factory wiki page to understand better the development
cycle, and while the info is pretty scarce,this is what I gather:
Factory that 'can be in any state and is a moving target' and the
snapshots which are to be released once a month. Same as you said.
I further went to download the snapshot as directed but was greeted
with its unavailability. I then double checked wikipedia.org article
on opensuse and it tells me that 13.1 was released on Nov 19, which
puts it at around three months since today?
Nevertheless, it was holiday time so it is definitely understandable.

Since you highlight the problem to be specifically the monthly freeze
it could still be better to place Tumbleweed in the 'line of fire' of
Factory that 'can be in any state and is a moving target' and leave
development milestone, now TW monthly snapshot //like Debian Sid//

Throw everything in Factory, but have TW pick it up a week or few later.

This could benefit everyone, users and developers because:

* it would help bring you the stability the team strives for;
* user coverage would increase;
* it would get more hands on from community;
* currently unavailable development snapshot, Factory and (available)
tw have similar nature
and that is one of a rolling distro;
* the effort put in both is in doubled since there are two groups
working in a similar nature
* having Greg K-H involved is on its own very much welcome.

This would obviously require creating a proper 'manifest' and adjust
the structure accordingly.

There is probably more but I'm the uninitiated here and surely other,
experienced members could chip in on the subject.

Again, thank you for taking time to consider my input and giving me a
reply. My personal wish is to see openSUSE growing beyond its
boundaries because it deserves so. The quality and sleekness of the
distribution is there thanks to all of you making it possible and it
should be leveraged further.

Kind regards,
Jason