[opensuse-factory] Suggestions for openSUSE team regarding factory stability and TW as rolling distro
  • From: Baron Kelvin <relentropy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 01:41:22 +0800
Dear all,

There's an idea growing in my mind that was spawned by latest
announcement from The Team and I'd like to share it with you.

I'm just a user, and a novice to the oSS mailinglists at that so
please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

To start with full disclosure/background first: I'm a TW user and the
reason I moved to it is specifically because I've read somewhere GKH
is the maintainer.
The only time I've used SuSE before that was in 2005, when oSS wasn't.

Anyway, to the point:

Since The Team expressed wish to move to improving the backbone and
the goal of having functional factory, wouldn't it be a sensible idea
introduce a monthly freeze?

Have a frozen-factory where the packages wouldn't be updated for a
month to allow bugfixing
for the next month when the new refresh would be done.
That is where TW would come in. Have a rolling distro that _is_
frozen-factory and is used by users and developers _and_ has the
stability potential.

Obviously here the new structure would need to be made and this is
something you (oSS team) wants anyway. I'd like to contribute in any
way possible to extent of my abilities.

I'd really like to hear what you gentlemen have to say on the topic
since I personally have no experience to the inner workings here but
would _really_ like oSS to thrive. The quality as is is something that
many strive for in the Linux community but few posses and oSS is one
of them.

Kind regards,
Jason