Re: [opensuse-factory] staging concepts
On 04.02.2014 10:30, Matwey Kornilov wrote:
Hello, All.

I don't completely understand staging concepts.

Now we have stage for new kernel version. But It is not built for arm.
How should we now that new kernel won't brake factory:arm? Currently,
kernel is broken fir arm.

Hi,

The plan is to work from easy to hard. Right now I'm checking that
the two inner rings stay green for i586 and x86_64 and pass minimal
automated testing on x86_64 in kvm. Even that means a lot can break
without us noticing - but at least we have a base we can rely upon.

This works with a lot of manual input from my side now for over a
month, and we[1]'re working on automating this step. Once that's
done, we can move to new targets. There are several candidates on what
to tackle afterward:

- ports (if you can provide automated test cases within openQA and
enough build power, that should be fairly trivial)
- Keeping live cds / desktops tested all the time
- add more testing to the core rings

As I tried to explain in the past: adding staging projects doesn't do
magic and won't solve things on their own. If the kernel is broken for
arm and nothing tests it, it will be broken in the future. Even the
staging projects right now only test that the kernel survives one
installation and one reboot and that's basically it.

Greetings, Stephan
[1] https://progress.opensuse.org/projects/stagings/issues